Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blog #12

Initially, the hardest thing for me was finding academic research. It seemed like the more I researched the farther away I got from my original search. But then after going to the library, I found lots of success in finding articles on my subculture. The easiest part so far would have to be interviewing and observing my subculture. My subculture is right downstairs from my room, so I have an easy access to get there. Also, being an insider has been a huge factor because it makes it easier for me to interview the employees because I know them on a personal level. If I could start over, I would have picked a different topic because I am at the point now where I don’t know which direction I want to head. I feel like I have lost sense of why my readers should even care about my subculture, which makes it even harder to develop a research question. Other than changing topics, I wish at this point in time I would have observed more of my subculture from an outsider’s point of view. Most of this is due to lack of planning ahead of time, which I wish I would have done more of. Having to write blogs has definitely helped me track my research process along the way because it has kept me organize. It also allows me to look back and see the progress I have made so far and possible directions I can take, which in the end will help me with my mini-ethnography. The blogs will only make it easier to piece everything together and stay organized in the end because it has kept track of my progress since the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment