Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blog #4

I have already been to Lafollette buffet many times because I work there three nights a week and I eat there on a daily basis, so I am very familiar with my cultural site already. However, I have not begun to interview any of the workers or customers. I have only begun to observe from what I see on the job as an insider not as an outsider looking in. When I do begin the interviewing process though, I plan on asking very general questions at first like how did you get the job, what is a typical day like on the job, how long have you been working at the buffet, etc. I believe these questions to be important in order to get to know the employees better and get a better understanding of what they do on a daily basis. Some observations that I did notice about the employees is how they are all about routine. Every single day they do the same thing, at the exact same time, the same way.
I have not attempted some basic “academic research,” but I should start doing that to help gain a better understanding. However, I am not to sure where to start with my “academic research.” I believe “academic” research is conducting research using outside sources like the internet, library books, pamphlets, brochures, etc. “Non-academic” is conducting research by observing and interviewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment