Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blog #10

Before this project I had no idea what fieldwork even was, but now after reading and actually doing some field work of my own I have learned the importance and need of field work. Field work is very beneficial because it stresses the significance of researching, observing, and reflecting. By doing some academic research and conducting interviews, I have developed a better understanding for the food dining subculture here on campus. From my interviews and surveys I was able to obtain perspectives from both an insider’s point of view and outsiders. All together from my research, observations, reflections and interviews, I hope the community develops a better understanding of what goes on within the dining halls and eventually venture out and try some of the different dining services on campus. Not only venture out and try the different food, but maybe develop an interest in working at one of the dining facilities here on campus. I also hope that all the stereotypes and misconceptions that people have will no longer exist and that they will be able to see a different side of Ball State dining that they didn’t know before.

I have already done quite a bit of academic research and to be honest it wasn’t easy. However, I have gained a lot more knowledge and insight on my subculture. From here on, I plan on spending more time making observations and conducting interviews within my subculture to develop that insight even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment